Food Safety Chain
The first step to great food is a healthy animal
Independent Farmers raise the chickens. They also raise the cattle and hogs we purchase. These farmers work closely with our team members to follow the best practices for their farms. Our service technicians and veterinarians assist the farmers in monitoring conditions, environment, and feed.
- We buy cattle and hogs on the open market from independent livestock producers. To ensure the safety and quality of our products, we work with industry associations to develop standards for the raising of these animals.
- We provide and deliver deliver healthy chicks and nutritious, safe feed to our Independent Farmers.
- We encourage the use of pre-harvest food safety technology at all farms and require strict biosecurity measures at poultry farms.
- We perform thousands of tests each week to confirm the health of the animals.
- We actively participate in research to develop better practices and technologies for food safety on the farm.
- In October 2012, we announced the launch of a program to personally audit the treatment of animals at the livestock and poultry farms that supply our company.
Our FarmCheck® Program uses third-party auditors to check for such things as animal access to food and water, as well as proper human-animal interaction and worker training at the livestock and poultry farms that supply us.
The food safety chain
You probably learned about nature’s food chains in elementary school, but the food safety chain is just as important for humans today, as those little fish are for the bigger fish. If a link in the food safety chain is broken, the safety and integrity of our food supply can be threatened.
AT THE FARM
- Healthy chicks and nutritious feed delivered to Independent Farmers
- Independent Farmers receive support for disease prevention and animal welfare
- Service technicians and veterinarians monitor flocks and purchased livestock closely
- Drivers trained in food safety needs for transporting live animals and finished products
AT THE PLANT
- Food Safety and Operations teams trained frequently in best practices
- Rigorous testing conducted throughout processing
- Internal and third-party audits to ensure safe food practices
IN THE STORE
Training for retailers, food distributors, restaurateurs, and other business owners
Products provided with accurate, informative labeling for safe handling, nutrition, and ingredients
AT THE TABLE
Strong support for services like the Fight Bac!® program of the Partnership for Food Safety Education
- Helpful resources and training for all the information you need to prepare a safe meal: